Last checked: 24/01/2019

Rail passenger rights

When buying a rail ticket, you may not be charged a higher price because of your nationality or where you are buying the ticket from.

Your rights as a railway passenger generally apply to all rail journeys and services within the EU.

European countries can decide whether or not these rights also apply to domestic trains (urban, suburban, regional, etc.) and international trains that start or finish their journey outside the EU.

Cancellation or delay

If your train is cancelled or delayed, you always have the right to adequate information about what is happening while you are waiting.

If you are told you will arrive at your final destination with a delay of at least 1 hour, you are entitled to:

If you decide to continue your journey as planned or to accept alternative transport to your destination, you may be entitled to compensation of:

You will not receive compensation if:

If you think your rights have not been respected, you can complain to the railway company, which must reply within 1 month.

If you are not satisfied with their reply, you can contact the national enforcement body[111 KB] in your country.

Lost or damaged registered luggage

If your registered luggage is lost or damaged during your trip, you have a right to compensation, unless it was inadequately packed, unfit for transport or had a special nature.

Compensation amounts

If a passenger is killed or injured in a train accident, they (or their dependants) are entitled to compensation for lost or damaged hand luggage (registered or not) up to a maximum of EUR 1 500.

Injury and death

If a passenger is injured or killed in a train accident, they (or their dependants) are entitled to compensation, with an advance payment within 15 days of the accident to cover their (or their dependants') immediate needs.

In the event of death, this advance payment is at least EUR 21 000 per person.


EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: