Last checked: 24/09/2021

Using and accessing the internet

Affected by Brexit?

Getting an internet connection

Wherever you are in the EU you must be able to access good quality electronic communication services at an affordable price - including basic internet access. This is known as the "universal service" provision. There should be at least one internet provider who can provide this service for you.


In some specific cases, such as issues with the technical feasibility of a request, your request might not be considered "reasonable" and could be refused.

To find out more, contact the national regulatory authoritiesOpen as an external link in your country. They will put you in touch with your universal service provider.

Open internet

EU rules on open internet give you the right as a user to access and/or distribute any online content and services you choose. Your internet provider cannot block, slow down or discriminate against any online content, applications or services, except in 3 specific cases:

Sample story

You can access the online content you want

John, from Ireland, recently started a new job in Germany. He wanted to use a video call app to talk to his family so he could save the cost of phone calls. He was pleased to discover that he had a choice of different video call apps he could use for free over his internet connection.

EU rules prohibit internet access providers from blocking applications or asking for extra money to use video call apps.

Contracts with internet providers

Before you sign a contract for internet services, your internet provider must give you information on:

After you sign a contract, your internet provider must also:

Sample story

Lengthy contracts are illegal

Enrique wanted to get an internet connection in his flat during his 1 year stay in Berlin on a university exchange - but was told by several providers that the minimum subscription time was 2 years.

After consulting the national authority for electronic communications and finding out about his rights, Enrique contacted the providers again and was able to get a subscription for 1 year only.

Extra support for users with disabilities

If you are a user with disabilities, you are entitled to the same range and choice of services enjoyed by other consumers.

You may also be eligible for special accessibility devices from your service provider - such as magnification software or a screen reader, if you are visually impaired.

Your national regulatory authoritiesOpen as an external link should be able to provide you with more details about these accessibility rights.

Sample story

Services should be available for users with disabilities

Véronique, from France, has limited vision and has trouble reading websites.

On advice from a friend, she contacted the French universal service provider to enquire about solutions that would help her. The provider delivered a screen reader that enables Véronique to read and access information online.

Making government websites accessible for all users

Public sector/government websites in EU countries have to respect strict web accessibility standards. Accessible websites give all users equal access to a website's information and functionalities. Content should also be compatible with all browsers, devices, software and assistive technologies such as screen readers.


EU accessibility rules don't apply to websites and mobile apps owned by public service broadcasters and live audiovisual material. In some EU countries, the rules also don't apply to schools, kindergartens and nurseries.

EU accessibility standards

In practice, the EU public sector websites you visit should respect certain accessibility requirements, including:

Some public sector/government websites you use are already applying these standards, and all public sector websites have to meet them by 23 September 2020. Public sector mobile apps have until 23 June 2021 to meet EU accessibility standards.

More information on international web accessibility standards is available from W3C (the World Wide Web Consortium)Open as an external link.

EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: