Last checked: 15/03/2022

Pensioners - residence rights

As an EU national, you can live in any EU country if you have:

Income could come from a pension, if you are a pensioner, or any other source of revenue.

Reporting your presence and registering your residence

During the first 3 months of your stay in your new country, as an EU national, you cannot be required to apply for a residence document confirming your right to live there - although in some countries you may have to report your presence upon arrival.

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

Can you be requested to leave or be deported?

You may live in the other EU country as long as you continue to meet the conditions for residence. If you no longer do so, the national authorities may require you to leave.

In exceptional cases, your host country can deport you on grounds of public policy or public security - but only if it can prove you represent a serious threat.

The deportation decision or the request to leave must be given to you in writing. It must state all the reasons for your deportation and specify how you can appeal and by when.

Permanent residence

If you have lived legally, meeting the conditions to stay in another EU country, for a continuous period of 5 years you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence there. This means that you can stay in the country as long as you want.

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

You can lose your right to permanent residence if you live outside the country for more than 2 consecutive years.

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: