Last checked: 12/09/2022

Energy label

Energy labels:

Class A (green) appliances consume the least energy – making them the most energy‑efficient. Class G (red) appliances consume the most energy.

EU rules on energy labelling also apply to some ‘energy‑related products': goods or systems with an impact on energy consumption during use. The rules do not apply to second-hand products or to means of transport for persons or goods.

Label rating system without the plus sign

Since March 2021, the energy label rating system uses A to G rankings only, instead of A to D ratings as before. This new rating system applies to the following product groups:

The first 4 product groups must feature the rescaled labels from 1 March 2021. Light bulbs and lamps must feature the rescaled label from 1 September 2021.

More information on how the energy label rating works.Open as an external link

Products that require labels

For certain product groups, an energy label must be clearly displayed on each product at the point of sale.

Product categories that require energy labels

  • Light bulbs and lamps
  • Heaters
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Washing machines and driers
  • Air conditioners and fans
  • Electronic displays, including televisions
  • Kitchen appliances
  • Tyres

Find more product-specific information on energy labelling and ecodesign requirements.Open as an external link

Obligations of manufacturers and resellers

If you are an EU-based manufacturer, an importer or an authorised representative of a non-EU manufacturer, you must do the following before placing a product on the EU market:

You can create energy labels using the energy label generator or by downloading the label templates in InDesign formatOpen as an external link. Labels with a QR code can only be generated on EPREL.

EPREL product database

All products requiring energy labels must be registered in the EPREL database before they can be sold on the EU market. The information you need to submit includes:

The first step you need to take is to create a ‘new supplier organisation' (= your company) on the EPREL website. This will include creating an EU login account. The EU login account will also provide access to the EPREL guidelines for information on the registration process.

Online or other distance selling

If you sell products to customers without any face‑to‑face contact, you must still provide the energy label information. For internet sales, you must clearly display, near the price and in the same font size, the product's:


The nested arrows and energy labels can be created via the energy label generatorInDesign templatesOpen as an external linkor on EPREL.

Staying up to date

As technologies evolve, so do the rules. Requirements that can change include product information that you must make available, indicators used to rank a product and where labels must be placed. You should monitor:

See also

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Labelling contact form

Submit your question using the labelling contact form.

Do you have questions on operating a business cross-border, for example exporting or expanding to another EU country? If so, the Enterprise Europe Network can give you free advice.

You can also use the assistance service finder to find the right help for you.

Share this page: