Doing business
Last checked : 20/09/2018

Permanent residence (>5 years) for non-EU family members

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

For the time being, the United Kingdom remains a full member of the EU and rights and obligations continue to fully apply in and to the UK:

Towards the end of their 5th year of continuous legal residence your non-EU family members should apply for a permanent residence card in the EU country where you live.

The permanent residence card is often issued free of charge (or for the same price as identity cards for nationals). It should be valid for 10 years and is automatically renewable without any condition or requirement.

When applying for their permanent residence card, your non-EU family member must give proof that they've been living legally in the country for 5 years - for example, using a valid residence card issued 5 years ago.

If you have problems getting a permanent residence card for your non-EU family members, you can call our assistance services.

Even if they hold a permanent residence card, your non-EU family member may still need a visa to travel within the EU. Find out more about travel documents for non-EU family members.


EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: