Last checked: 30/04/2021

Food labelling rules

Affected by Brexit?

If you sell food or beverages in the EU, you must provide essential information so that the end consumer can make an informed decision on their purchase.

The information required must be:

Mandatory information for prepacked foods

What type of information are you required to mention?

Under EU law and/or national law, some food products might also need to show specific warnings referring, for example, to ingredients not recommended for consumption by children (such as caffeine).

Ingredients list

The list must be preceded by a heading that includes the word ‘ingredients' and must include all the ingredients of the food:

Technical rules on indication of ingredients – annex 7Open as an external link
Foods that do NOT require a list of ingredients – article 19Open as an external link
Constituents of food NOT required in the list of ingredients – article 20Open as an external link

Quantitative Ingredients Declaration – EU guidancecsdadeelesetfifrhrhuitltlvmtnlplptroskslsvbg

Quantity of certain ingredients

You must mention the quantity (by percentage) of any ingredients that:

Foods for which ingredient quantity is NOT required – annex 8

Allergen information

Any allergens present must be emphasised in the list of ingredients, for example by using a different font, letter size or background colour.

In the absence of a list of ingredients, the indication of allergens must include the word ‘contains' followed by the name of the allergen.

Complete list of allergens – annex 2Open as an external link
Allergens – EU guidance Open as an external link


Mandatory information must be printed using a font with a minimum x-height of 1.2 millimetres. If the largest surface area of packaging is less than 80 cm², you can use a minimum x-height of 0.9 mm.

For packaging surface of less than 10 cm², you must list:

Labelling size guide – annex 4Open as an external link

Related topics

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: