Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Last checked : 07/05/2018

Expired or lost passports

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

For the time being, the United Kingdom remains a full member of the EU and rights and obligations continue to fully apply in and to the UK:

Under EU rules, all travellers (including infants) need a valid ID card or passport to travel.

But, if you have:

  • lost your passport or had it stolen
  • realised that your passport has expired

the EU countries have systems in place to deal with such cases.

It is, though, up to each EU country to decide whether and/or when it allows EU citizens to enter or exit their territory without a valid travel document.

See the current rules and information (where available) and/or visit the websites of the authorities of the country you are travelling both from and to :

Choose country

The European Commission is not responsible for the content of external websites.

As there are no EU rules on travelling without a valid travel document, conditions and procedures vary widely from country to country (and may change without notice). If you have already set off on your trip and:

  • you're in the EU, your first port of call should be your country's consulate or embassy.
  • you find yourself outside the EU, where your country does not have a consulate or embassy, you have the right to seek consular protection from any other EU country.

Bear in mind that, even where some countries allow you to leave or enter their territory without a valid travel document, you may still need to show one in countries you are transiting through.

Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice