Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Last checked : 01/02/2018

Registering your residence abroad

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

For the time being, the United Kingdom remains a full member of the EU and rights and obligations continue to fully apply in and to the UK:

During the first 3 months of your stay in your new country, as EU national, you cannot be required to apply for a residence document confirming your right to live there - although in some countries you may have to report your presence upon arrival.

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

  • Employees / Postings abroad
    • Certificate of employment or confirmation of recruitment from your employer
  • Self-employed
    • Proof of your status as self-employed
  • Pensioners
    • Proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • Proof you can support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source
  • Students
    • Proof of enrolment at an approved educational establishment
    • Proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • Declaration that you have sufficient resources to support yourself without needing income support: resources may come from any source

You do not need to provide any other documents.

When you register, you will get a registration certificate. This certificate confirms your right to live in your new country.

Your registration certificate should be issued immediately and cost no more than the price nationals pay for identity cards.

It should be valid indefinitely (does not have to be renewed), though any change of address may need to be reported to the local authorities.

Find out where and how to register in your host country:

Choose country

If you are required to register, you may be fined for not doing so but may continue to live in the country and cannot be expelled just for this.

In many countries, you will need to carry your registration certificate and national identity card or passport at all times. If you leave them at home, you may be fined but cannot be expelled just for this.

If you have problems getting your registration certificate, you can call on our assistance services.

See also how to:

Sample story

You can start work without waiting to register

Kurt is a German who moved to Belgium to work as an independent lawyer in a partnership. When he went to register at the town hall, he was told he couldn't start working until he'd received a registration certificate.

This is incorrect: as an EU national, Kurt may work as a self-employed person without waiting for a registration certificate. In any case, the authorities must issue a registration certificate immediately when asked.

Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice