Doing business
Last checked: 27/01/2020

Complaints and dispute resolution

Affected by Brexit?

If you think your electricity supplier has breached your rights (contract conditions, quality of service, etc.), you can file a complaint with your gas or electricity supplier. Your energy supplier has to provide you with information on how to do this. This should enable you to settle your dispute promptly and get reimbursement and/or compensation if relevant.

If you're not satisfied with how your complaint is managed , you also have the right to send your complaint to an independent body for out-of-court dispute settlement such as an energy ombudsman.

These options do not limit your right to subsequently bring a case before a court.

Sample story

An ombudsman can help with your complaint

Helen from France was not happy with her electricity bill. She couldn't understand how the company had calculated the total amount to be paid and it seemed excessive.

She complained in writing to her electricity provider but the reply she got was not satisfactory. 8 weeks after making the complaint, which was not solved by the company, Helen decided to report her case to the Energy Ombudsman. The Ombudsman asked the company to explain what happened and requested they correct the problem. The company admitted that it had made a mistake when calculating Helen's bill. They also changed their standard bill format, to make the information easier for consumers to understand.

National contact points for energy

Within your country, you must have access to a single point of contact from where you can get all the information you need about your energy rights, current legislation and how to deal effectively with any gas or electricity supplier dispute.

National regulatory authorities

Your rights as an energy consumer in the EU have to be set out in the national laws of your country. For more information contact your national regulatory authority which must ensure that consumers are protected in line with EU law.

EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: