Last checked: 09/06/2022

Transferring unemployment benefits

In general, to receive unemployment benefits you need to stay in the country which pays your benefits. However, under certain conditions, you can go to another EU country to look for work and continue to receive your unemployment benefits from the country where you became unemployed.

Staying abroad for 3 months

You can carry on receiving your unemployment benefit for at least 3 months from the EU country where you were last working - and up to a maximum of 6 months, depending on the institution paying your benefit.

You can only do this if you are:

Before leaving, you must:


This authorisation is valid for one country only. If you wish to export your unemployment benefits to another country, you need to apply for another U2 form. Ask your jobcentre whether you have to go back home to apply for this new authorisation or whether you can do it remotely.

On arrival in the new country, you'll need to:


You are advised to find out about your rights and duties as a jobseeker in your new country. They may be very different from the country where you became unemployed.

The same amount as before will then be paid directly into your bank account in the country where you became unemployed.


If you want to keep your entitlement to unemployment benefits, be sure to return to the country paying your unemployment benefits before or on the day your entitlement expires.

Staying abroad longer than 3 months

If you want to stay abroad for longer than 3 months, you will need to apply for an extension from the national employment service in the country where you became unemployed: they may extend the 3-month period up to 6 months.


Not all countries grant extensions. Ask the public employment service in your home country if, and under what conditions, extensions can be granted.

Most of the countries granting extensions have clear criteria for assessing requests. They could, for instance, ask you for:

Apply for the extension as early as possible. You must apply before the end of the initial 3-month period.

Equal treatment

When looking for work abroad, you have the same rights as nationals of your host country with regard to:


Your new country might wait until you have established a genuine link with the local employment market before granting some types of financial support to help you find work — such as low-interest loans for unemployed people starting a business. Being in the country and looking for work for a reasonable amount of time may count as a genuine link.


EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: