Doing business
Last checked: 09/03/2020

Organising planned medical treatment abroad

Affected by Brexit?

You have the right to organise medical treatment , such as consultation with a specialist, surgery or treatment for a specific condition, in another EU country on the same terms and at the same cost as people living in that country.

However, some countries may restrict access to certain types of healthcare abroad (e.g hospital treatment or highly specialised and expensive treatment). You will also usually need prior authorisation from your health insurer before you organise your medical treatment abroad.

Depending on the type of treatment you need and the rules in your country, you may be able to get some or all of your costs covered. Read more about expenses and reimbursements for your planned medical treatment.

How to organise your treatment abroad

1. Check your health cover

Before you go abroad for medical treatment, you will need to:

2. Find a place to get your treatment

You will need to find a healthcare provider (hospital, medical establishment, etc) offering the treatment you need in another EU country. To do this, you can:

Be aware that healthcare systems in other EU countries may not work in the same way as healthcare in your home country.

Sample story

Check with your National Contact Point and health insurer before organising your treatment

Aurélie lives in France. She needs to undergo surgery and has found a specialist clinic in Luxembourg, where her parents live. She has found a suitable specialist at a public hospital near her parents' house, but isn't certain how to go about organising her treatment there.

Aurélie decided to call the National Contact Point in France and her local health insurance institution. They gave her all the information she needed to apply for prior authorisation and Aurélie completed the required form. If she receives authorisation, she can then arrange her treatment directly at the hospital in Luxembourg.


EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: