Doing business
Last checked: 24/01/2019

Registering EU family members in another EU country

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

If you move to another EU country, your dependent EU family can move with you.

After 3 months in the new country, they may have to register their residence and be issued with a registration certificate.

If your EU family members are not dependent, they can register in their new EU country by virtue of their own rights.

Registration certificate supporting documents

Your family members will need the following documents to obtain their registration certificate from the town hall or local police station:

No other documents may be requested.

The registration certificate will be issued immediately for your spouse, (grand)children and (grand)parents. For other relatives, the authorities should make their decision to issue a registration certificate or not as soon as possible.


The registration certificate should cost no more than nationals pay for identity cards or similar documents.


The validity period of the registration certification is unlimited (it does not have to be renewed), but any change of address may need to be reported to the local authorities.

Where and how to register by country

Find out where and how to register your EU family members in your host country:

Choose country

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

If required by the host country, your family members can be fined but not expelled if they don't:

  • register their residence
  • carry their registration certificate and identity card/passport with them at all times

If you have problems getting a registration certificate for your family members, you can call on our assistance services.

See also how to have a residence card issued for your non-EU family members.


EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: