Doing business
Last checked: 03/02/2020

Applying for permanent provision of services

Affected by Brexit?

The rules and conditions presented on this page continue to apply to EU citizens in the UK and to UK citizens in the EU.

All applications for the recognition of professional qualifications for the purposes of establishment submitted before 31 December 2020 will be assessed under EU law. Decisions made on the basis of these applications will remain valid after 31 December 2020 in both the UK and the EU.

If you have problems enforcing your rights, contact our assistance services.

If you are moving long-term to another EU country and you want to practise your regulated profession there, you will need to apply for professional recognition.

If you are a doctor, a nurse responsible for general care, a midwife, a dental practitioner, a pharmacist, an architect or a veterinary surgeon, you enjoy automatic recognition of your qualifications.

What you need to submit

You need to submit the following documents together with your application for professional recognition:

What happens with your application

Once you submit your application and supporting documents, the authorities:

If the authorities decide that there are substantial differences between the requirements for receiving your qualifications in your home country and those in the host country, they may ask you to pass an aptitude test or carry out a traineeship. In such a case, they won't make a final decision before you have met these additional conditions.

If you are asked to fulfil additional conditions to prove the validity of your qualifications, you should be able to choose between aptitude tests or an adaptation traineeship. For some professions, however, the authorities may specifically require either aptitude tests or an adaption traineeship.

If the authorities don't take a decision within 4 months, you can also consult our assistance services or the national contact pointsfor professional qualifications. If they can't help you, you can also take your case to national courts.


EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: