Last checked: 03/04/2020

Admission and entry to university

Affected by Brexit?

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to study at any EU university under the same conditions as nationals. However, conditions of entry vary significantly between individual countries and universities.

Regardless of the other entry conditions, you may not be refused access to training or education in another EU country on grounds of your nationality.

Special rules apply to fees and grants.

Language test

Knowledge of the host country language may be required, so in some EU countries you may be asked to take a language test.

University systems by country

You should find out about the higher education system in the country where you wish to study before you leave home.

I want to study in:

Choose country:

  • Austriaaten
  • Belgium - Flandersbe-vlgen
  • Belgium - Walloniabe-walen
  • Bulgariabgen
  • Croatiacren
  • Cypruscyen
  • Czechiaczen
  • Denmarkdken
  • Estoniaeeen
  • Finlandfien
  • Francefren
  • Germanydeen
  • Greecegren
  • Hungaryhuen
  • Icelandisen
  • Irelandieen
  • Italyitit
  • Latvialven
  • Liechtensteinlien
  • Lithuanialten
  • Luxembourgluen
  • Maltamten
  • Netherlandsnlen
  • Norwaynoen
  • Polandplen
  • Portugalpten
  • Romaniaroen
  • Slovakiasken
  • Sloveniasien
  • Spaineses
  • Swedenseen
  • United Kingdomuken

The European Commission is not responsible for the content of the national websites linked from this page.

Sample story

Do your homework on foreign enrolment systems

Battista from Italy wanted to study in Ireland. Because he didn't know about the centralised university application system there (CAO), he missed the deadline for applications and had to wait until the following academic year.

That meant he had an unplanned gap year, instead of going straight to university after finishing school.


Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: