Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 25/04/2017

FAQs - Admission and entry to university

  • I want to go to university in another EU country. The authorities there require me to take a language test first. Can they do that?

    YES - the relevant authorities can require applicants to take a language test. But these rules should be applied proportionately, and it should be possible to make exceptions to take account of individual circumstances, e.g. if you have already lived or worked in a country using the relevant language.

  • I have a degree from the Netherlands and would like to continue my studies in Spain. However, the university I approached won't recognise my Dutch qualification as equivalent to the Spanish one normally required for admission to the course I want to take. Can you help?

    POSSIBLY - national governments have sole responsibility for recognising academic qualifications. The European Commission can take action only if:

    • a refusal to recognise a qualification constitutes discrimination on grounds of nationality
    • disproportionately long or costly procedures can be interpreted as restricting your freedom of movement.

    The ENIC-NARIC (a Europe-wide network for recognition of academic qualifications) centre in the host country may be able to help by contacting its opposite number in your country.

  • I've just completed my upper secondary schooling in my home country. Can I start university in another EU country without any experience of higher (tertiary) education in my home country?

    In principle, you can go to university in another EU country. But bear in mind that each country is free to stipulate the level of secondary education future students need for university admission. This will be explained in the pre-application information provided by the university you hope to apply to.
  • What documents do I need to study in another EU country?

    That depends on the country, the university and the course itself. As a general rule, you should have:

    • the originals of all your relevant academic qualifications
    • a CV (e.g. the Europass CV, which provides a template enabling you to present your educational background in a way that can be understood anywhere in Europe).
  • I am enrolled at an Italian university. Can I enrol at a German university as well while keeping my status as a student at the Italian university?  Apparently, Italy won't allow me to be enrolled at 2 universities at the same time, even if the second one is in the EU. Does Germany allow this?

    This isn't covered by EU rules. It's legitimate for a university to require its students to attend lectures and tutorials regularly. So it may well take the view that students cannot be enrolled on 2 equally demanding university courses at the same time.


See main information on this topic
Admission and entry to university
EU legislation
Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice