Last checked: 08/04/2020

Posting staff abroad

You must respect the ‘posting' rules if:

In both cases, there must be an employment relationship between you and the person being posted.

Posting rules also apply if the person is hired through an agency providing temporary staff and is coming to work for you from a different EU country than that where your business is registered or is operating. In this case, an employment relationship must exist between the worker and the temporary or placement agency you use.

Conditions of employment in the host country

You must guarantee your staff the same conditions and terms of employment throughout their posting as those in force - either by law or collective agreements - in the host country in relation to:

If these employment terms and conditions in your own country are more favourable to your staff than those of the host country, you can maintain these conditions during the posting.

If initial installation and/or initial assembly of certain products is an integral part of your contract and your skilled staff have to carry out these activities, the minimum payment and annual holiday requirements are not obligatory, if the whole posting lasts for less than 8 days per year.

EU countries may decide - after consulting employers' and employees' representatives - that the host country's minimum pay and annual holiday requirements need not apply if the whole posting lasts for less than 1 month. This exemption does not apply to workers posted through agencies providing temporary staff.

Social security rules for posted workers

While working temporarily in another EU country, your posted employees, or you as self-employed, can continue to be covered by the social security system of the country where they worked before the posting.

As an employer, you must inform the host country's administration in advance, and request a form called Portable Document A1 (PD A1) issued by the social security institution in the country where your company is registered. The PD A1 confirms that the posted employee is registered under the social security system in your home country and does not need to pay contributions in the country of posting.

When requesting the PD A1, you need to specify the start and end date of the posting in the other EU country. The maximum period you can indicate on the form is 24 months.

If the posting lasts longer than 24 months, you as an employer can:

The rules for social security during posting abroad may differ if you are self-employed.

For more information,​ check the EU guide on the posting of workers​ (new rules from July 2020).

National contact points and websites

Each EU country has at least one contact point which can give you detailed information about posting staff abroad. Contact points also cooperate and share information, monitor the terms and conditions of employment during the posting, and follow up alleged infringements of the rules.

For more information, check the national website of the host country.

Choose country:

  • Austriaaten
  • Belgiumbeen
  • Bulgariabgen
  • Croatiacren
  • Cypruscyen
  • Czechiaczcs
  • Denmarkdken
  • Estoniaeeen
  • Finlandfien
  • Francefren
  • Germanydeen
  • Greecegrel
  • Hungaryhuen
  • Irelandieen
  • Italyiten
  • Latvialven
  • Lithuanialten
  • Luxembourgluen
  • Maltamten
  • Netherlandsnlen
  • Polandplen
  • Portugalpten
  • Romaniaroro
  • Slovakiasken
  • Sloveniasien
  • Spainesen
  • Swedenseen
  • United Kingdomuken

Related topics

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Your EURES Adviser

Your EURES Adviser can inform you on working conditions as well as assist you in the recruitment procedures in your country or your cross-border region.

Local business support

Do you have questions on operating a business cross-border, for example exporting or expanding to another EU country? If so, the Enterprise Europe Network can give you free advice.

Share this page: