Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 02/08/2017

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Romania

Your family members who are not EU citizens must register their residence within 90 days of arrival.

The documents you need to obtain a residence card for your non-EU family members are:

  • standard application
  • (valid) passport in original and copy
  • copy of the identity card/travel document
  • copy of the document certifying your residence as EU citizen in Romania
  • proof of means of support
  • proof of health insurance
  • fees
  • for spouses: civil status document certifying the marriage
  • for (grand)children and (grand)parents: civil status documents certifying the family relationship with the EU resident
  • for registered partners: documents certifying partnership
  • for dependent persons: documents certifying dependency.

In some cases, you will need to prove your family members are dependent on you.

You have to prove that you have sufficient resources for your family members - unless they work as employed or self-employed people in Romania and, as such, they are able to support themselves.

As supporting documents you can use:

  • a pension slip, issued at earliest 3 months before the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
  • a statement concerning the global income tax for the year prior to the date of entry on the territory of Romania (other similar document)
  • a bank account statement or other equivalent documents certifying that the applicant earns the necessary revenues to ensure subsistence
  • if you come to Romania to study, you may submit a certified declaration stating that you are able to support yourself.

As an exception, Romanian citizens are not required to prove the means of support for their family members.

The registration certificate residence card is valid for up to 5 years - but it won't exceed the residence period of the EU citizen of which the applicant is a family member.

See also:

Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice