Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 26/04/2017

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Italy

For stays longer than 3 months family members of EU citizens who are not EU nationals can directly apply for the EC Long-Term Residence Permit (carta di soggiorno) for family members of EU citizens at the local Questura or through the Post Office (using the application kit with a yellow stripe).

Designated municipal offices and other authorized offices (Patronati) are available to help applicants fill out the application forms, which must then be sent through the Post Office.

The following documents must be attached to the application:

  • photocopy of passport or other current and valid equivalent document, with visa, if required
  • certificate issued by the authority in charge in the country of origin or provenance proving family relationship and, if required, proof that the applicant is a dependant or a member of the household of the EU citizen or that serious health grounds strictly require the personal care of the family member by the EU citizen having autonomous right of residence
  • EU citizen's receipt of application for registration with the Anagrafe
  • 4 passport size photos
  • if the request is submitted by the EU citizen's unmarried partner, proof of the existence of a durable relationship with the Union citizen

The EC residence permit for long term residents (carta di soggiorno) is valid for five years. Holders of the carta di soggiorno are allowed absences for a period not exceeding six months a year, or up to 12 months for a serious cause (e.g., pregnancy, maternity, serious illness, study, etc.) without affecting its validity.

Read more.

Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice