Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 26/04/2017

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Estonia

Your non-EU family members must register their residence.

To do so, they will need to go in person to one of the foreign representations of the Republic of Estonia .

In some exceptional cases , one may submit an application to a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau.

In any case you will have to pay a state fee ; a colour photo (measuring 40x50mm) is also required.

The documents you need to obtain a residence card for your non-EU family members are:

  • Husband/wife :
    • identity document
    • CV
    • marriage certificate
    • spouse's registration certificate in Estonia
    • documents that certify spouse's legal income
    • proof of comprehensive medical insurance (insurance contract)
    • applicant's written explanation
  • (grand)children :
    • birth certificate
    • child's identity document
    • family's residence certificate in Estonia
    • in the case of separated parents: the other parent's notarised consent
  • (grand)parents :
    • identity document
    • CV
    • documents certifying kinship
    • certification of legal income of the relative they will live with
    • proof of comprehensive medical insurance (insurance contract)
    • residence certificate in Estonia
    • an applicant's confirmation that he/she cannot receive appropriate care and assistance in his/her country of habitual residence
    • a document certifying the state of health, if the need for care stems from the applicant's state of health
    • justification as to why the applicant wishes to settle in Estonia
    • confirmation from the applicant that he/she and his/her close relative are permanently residing in Estonia
  • Extended family members (uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc.) cannot apply for a residence card, unless the temporary residence permit is required for a ward to settle with a guardian .
  • Registered and non-registered partners cannot apply for a residence card.

The residence card's validity varies: it can be up to 5 years depending on your circumstances.

Check with the authorities responsible for issuing residence cards: Estonian Police and Border Guard Board.

Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice