Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 18/05/2018

Car registration in another EU country – Malta

Registration rules

As an EU national moving to Malta, you must register your car within 30 days upon car import if you are the owner of the vehicle.

Non-residents and tourist are allowed the use of their vehicle for a maximum of 7 months per calendar year.

You can use your car for 7 months without registering it if:

  • you bring your car temporarily to Malta for a period, consecutive or otherwise, not exceeding 7 months in any 12-month period
  • you have your normal residence outside Malta and non-resident status in Malta.

Find more information on registering a vehicle in Malta.

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to Malta, you must notify the responsible authority when you import your car in Malta. To be able to use your car in Malta before registering it, you need a temporary circulation permit that costs EUR 20. It allows you to drive around for a maximum period of 30 consecutive calendar days. You can apply for this permit only if your car has already been registered in another EU country.

Non-residents and tourist are allowed the use of their vehicle for a maximum of seven 7 per calendar year.

To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to the Transport Malta.

Temporary registration plates

Transit registration plates issued in another EU country are recognised in Malta and you can drive with such a plate only when you have just bought a car and you use a foreign registration plate to drive your car back to your country of residence.

You can get the transit plates at the Vehicle Licensing Unit, Land Transport Directorate, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana, FRN1230, for EUR 235.

Exemptions from the obligation to register a vehicle


If you are a student in Malta from another EU country you:

  • do not have to register your own car with the authorities here for your period of study. This does not apply if the car is owned by your parents
  • do not have to pay registration tax on it in Malta
  • must be insured for your period of study here

To qualify for exemption from the requirement to register vehicles, you must get a certificate of enrolment at the university (or other school/college), which is valid for twelve months and evidence of the vehicle's arrival in Malta, a copy of the vehicle's registration certificate, and a copy of a valid insurance certificate and keep them in the vehicle in case of checks by the authorities. You can get a certificate of enrolment/supporting documents from education authorities.

As a student, you are not allowed to:

  • sell, give away or hire your car in Malta
  • lend it to others with a residence in Malta
  • use your car for the transport of goods for industrial or commercial purposes, whether for reward or not
  • carry people for hire or reward

Your car should have an insurance policy, a valid and clearly displayed registration mark from the country of registration or any other mark which may be issued by the responsible authority in your country.

The exemption is issued for a period of twelve months and is renewable upon application every year.

If, as a student, you are also working full-time in Malta, you must register the vehicle and pay the related taxes.

Pensioners, second homeowners, cross-border commuters

As an EU national with a second home in Malta, you do not need to register your vehicles here.

If you are a non-resident worker you can drive your car for 12 months without registering it or paying registration taxes in Malta.

You are also exempt from compulsory car registration:

  • if you regularly use a private car registered in the country where you have your normal residence to commute from your country of residence and your workplace in Malta
  • you hold a diplomatic status
  • you have special needs
  • your car is registered for and by humanitarian organizations

Car tax

As an EU national, if you want to register and use your car in Malta you must pay the following taxes:

The following categories of vehicles are exempt from registration taxes:

  • motorcycles not exceeding 250cc
  • certified vintage vehicles with an age over 50 years
  • category M motor vehicles used within enclosed areas, such as dock areas or airports or seaports
  • agricultural tractors
  • forklifts, shovels, excavators, road rollers, bulldozers, road pavers, road scarifiers, rock cutters and asphalt finishers
  • N2 and N3 vehicles euro standards 5 and 6 are also exempted from registration tax

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: