Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 18/05/2018

Car registration in another EU country – Estonia

Registration rules

As an EU national moving to Estonia, you must register your car if you are the owner of the vehicle. The Estonian Road Administration does not issue fines. Still, it is obligatory for a vehicle that is used for more than a year in Estonia to be registered.

The vehicle shall be registered under the name of a person with Estonian citizenship or a person with a permit/right of residence in Estonia, or a legal person registered in the Estonian Business Register or in a branch of a foreign company.

In any other case, an eligible representative shall be entered in the register on behalf of the authorised user.

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to Estonia, you have 5 working days to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country – starting from the day you start using your car in Estonia (generally following the importation of the vehicle or customs clearance).

To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to the Estonian Road Administration.

Temporary registration plates

If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will be recognised in Estonia for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence.

You can get the transit plates from the Estonian Road Administration, for EUR 60.

Exemptions from registering your car

As an EU national moving to Estonia, you can use your vehicle here while it is still registered in your previous home country.

You can use it for 12 months under the following conditions:

  • you live permanently in a foreign country
  • you have used your car less than 12 months in Estonia

If you use your car for more than 12 months in Estonia, you have to register it and pay a registration fee.

To register your vehicle in Estonia you have to submit following documents:

  • an application
  • an act of pre-registration roadworthiness test
  • documents proving ownership
  • a registration certificate
  • a conformity certificate
  • customs documents
  • an expertise act
  • an act of old vehicle


If you are a student in Estonia from another EU country you:

  • must register your own car with the authorities here for the duration of your studies if you live permanently in Estonia. This does not apply if the car is owned by your parents, who are not resident in Estonia.
  • must pay registration and/or road taxes on it in Estonia.
  • must buy additional car insurance for the duration of your studies here.

If, as a student, you are also working in Estonia, you must register the vehicle and pay related taxes.

Pensioners, second homeowners, and cross-border commuters

As EU nationals with a second home in Estonia that you use for no more than 6 months a year, you do not need to register your vehicle here.

You are exempt from compulsory car registration if you meet the following criteria:

  • you live permanently in a foreign country
  • you use your car for less than 12 months in Estonia

Car tax

There are no exemptions concerning the first registration of a power-driven vehicle or its trailer (excl. mopeds and trailers with a maximum mass not exceeding 3,500 kg).

As an EU national, if you want to register and use your car in Estonia, you must pay the following taxes:

  • registration taxes: EUR 130 (vehicle registration) + EUR 62 (registration plates)

The Estonian authorities do not refund car registration taxes if you move from Estonia to another country and need to register your car there

If you do not register your vehicle in Estonia, it is not a subject to any taxes.

More information about car registration and taxes you can find on the homepage of the Estonian Road Administration.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: