Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Driving licence

Updated : 15/02/2014


Validity in EU countries

I'm a tourist

From January 19th 2013, all new driving licences issued across the EU must be in the form of a plastic "credit card," with a standard European format and tougher security protection.

Existing licences are not affected, but will be changed to the new format at the time of renewal or at the latest by 2033.

More information

Before you go, make sure your driving licence has not expired. You cannot drive to another country on just a provisional licence or certificate.

EU driving licences

If your licence is from an EU country, you can use it throughout the EU.

The following categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, B1, B1E, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE are recognised throughout Europe.

EU driving licences (issued in exchange for a non‑EU licence)

If you have exchanged your non‑EU licence for an EU licence in the country where you now live, you can drive with this throughout the EU.

Non-EU driving licences

If you want to drive in the EU on a licence from outside the EU, please contact the authorities of the country you are visiting, or contact your embassy or consulate in that country.

Sample story

Teenagers: Watch out for different age restrictions between EU countries

Sofia is 14 and got her moped licence in Italy. She would like to drive a moped in Belgium, but the minimum driving age for mopeds there is 16.

Sofia will have to wait until she is 16 before driving her moped in Belgium. On that day, her Italian driving licence will become valid and she will be able to drive without having to pass a Belgian test.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body


In this case, the 27 EU member states + Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway

Retour au texte en cours.