Navigation path

Updated : 05/05/2014

Registering your residence abroad – Italy

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Registering your residence when abroad

You must register within 3 months of arriving.

To register, you should go to the offices of the local authority (comune) where you are living.

Inactive citizens (pensioners, self-sufficient persons) must prove they have sufficient resources to live on, by presenting the following documents: declarations, pension certificates, securities, bank statements, saving account books, bank guarantees etc.

You don't need to carry your registration certificate at all times. If, as an EU citizen, you don't have your registration certificate with you when asked for it, you may be required to go to a police station to get the necessary documents.

If you don't register, you could incur financial penalties.

See also:

Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice