Municipal elections – Spain
Affected by Brexit?
EU nationals can both vote and stand as candidates in municipal elections in Spain.
To vote in municipal elections you must:
- be 18 or over on election day
- be resident in Spain and registered with your local municipal authorities
- have declared your intention to vote in those elections
- be on the electoral roll
Once you have made the initial notification to the authorities of your intention to vote in Spanish municipal elections, you will be able to vote in all future municipal elections during your time as a resident in Spain – unless you inform the authorities that you do not intend to vote.
To stand as a candidate in municipal elections you must:
- meet the requirements for voting in municipal elections
- meet the eligibility requirements under Spanish law (applicable to all Spaniards)
- be eligible to stand as a candidate in your country of origin
Voting in municipal elections is not compulsory in Spain.