Navigation path

Updated : 07/08/2014


Permanent residence (>5 years) for EU nationals

As EU national, you automatically acquire the right of permanence residence in another EU country if you have lived legally there for at least 5 years continuously.

You can then apply for a permanent residence document, which confirms your rights to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions.

This is different from the registration certificate which is compulsory in many countries. The permanent residence document is not compulsory.

The permanent residence document can be handy when dealing with the authorities or for administrative formalities. The authorities may no longer require you to prove that you have a job, sufficient resources, health insurance, and so on.

If you ask the authorities for a permanent residence document, they must issue it as soon as possible and for no more than nationals pay for identity cards. If they do not, you can call on our assistance services.

The document should be valid for 10 years and is automatically renewable without any condition or requirement.

To get one, you must submit:

  • proof you have been living in the country for 5 years, for example a valid registration certificate issued when you arrived


  • proof you have stopped working and meet the conditions for earlier permanent residence.
Help and advice

Help and advice

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Get advice on your EU rights / Solve problems with a public body