Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 25/04/2017

FAQs - Taking alcohol, tobacco and cash with you

  • I am planning to travel to Cuba from Brussels and have been asked by friends to bring back cigars for them.  Can I do this as my understanding is that such imports must be for "personal use"?

    Imports are regarded as being for personal use if they take place occasionally, are goods to be used by you or your family or which are intended as presents.

  • I am going on holiday from Ireland to Lanzarote.  Is there a "duty-free" allowance when returning to Ireland from Lanzarote?

    YES - as long as you don't exceed the limits of such goods for personal use, you can import them from the Canary Islands, free of customs duties, VAT and excise duties.

  • If I go to another EU country with a cheque for more than €10,000, do I have to declare this or do I have to declare only cash amounts in excess of €10,000?

    When you enter or leave the EU with € 10 000 or more in cash (or its equivalent in other currencies), and/or any other financial/monetary instrument that can be transferred anonymously from one person to another you must declare it to the customs authorities by using the EU cash declaration form. When you travel within the EU you might have a similar obligation, as intra-EU cash controls are also applied in some EU countries.

  • Is it necessary to declare the importation of gold or precious stones to the value of more than €10,000?

    NO - gold, precious metals and precious stones do not have to be declared under the EU cash control rules.  However, these items are covered under customs laws and specific national rules may apply.


See main information on this topic
Alcohol, tobacco, cash and excise duties
Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice