Driving licence exchange and recognition in the EU – Romania
Affected by Brexit?
Driving licence validity in Romania
Driving licences are valid for:
- 5 years - category C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE, Tr, Tb si Tv;
- 10 years - category AM, A1, A2, A, B, Bl si BE.
International driving licence cannot be changed.
Non-EU driving licences - exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU driving licence only if you establish your residence in Romania (you usually live at least 185 days per year in Romania or returns periodically to an address due to personal relationship although you live in a diferent country).
To exchange your non-EU driving licence:
- go to the competent community public service authority in whose territorial jurisdiction you reside (in general the prefecture in each county),
- hand in the following documents:
- valid documents attesting that you legally reside in Romania,
- application form; authenticated copy translation into Romanian,
- identification document,
- medical record that proves the holder is fit to drive the categories of vehicles mentioned in the driving licence presented for exchange,
- proof of taxes and tariffs payment prescribed by law - related exchange that driving license.
Romania recognizes and exchanges without a driving test licence issued in the following non-EU states: Republic of South Africa, Republic of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, The Bahamas, The Kingdom of Bahrain, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federative Republic of Brazil, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, The Republic of Cuba, United Arab Emirates, Russian Federation, The Republic of the Philippines, Georgia, The Republic of Guyana, Islamic Republic of Iran, State of Israel, The Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, The Republic of Kenya, Kuwait, Liberia, Republic of Macedonia, Morocco, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Niger, The Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Peru, Qatar, San Marino, The Republic of Senegal, The Republic of Serbia, Republic of Seychelles, The Republic of Tajikistan, The Republic of Tunisia, Republic of Turkmenistan, The Republic of Turkey, Ukraine, Oriental Republic of Uruguay, Uzbekistan, The Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Zimbabwe, Canada, The Republic of Korea, Arab Republic of Egypt, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Japan, Lebanon, Syrian Arab Republic, USA, China (category B only).