Driving licence exchange and recognition in the EU – Luxembourg
Affected by Brexit?
Driving licence validity in Luxembourg
Driving licences issued before January 19, 2013 are valid until the date mentioned on the driving licence.
Driving licences for novice drivers are valid for:
- 2 years - category A and B.
Driving licences for elderly drivers over 70 years are valid for:
- 5 years (or 2 years for drivers over 80) - categories A and B.
If you hold a driving licence for life (i.e. one that remains administratively valid for an unlimited period) that was issued by another EU country, you will not have to renew the licence after changing your usual place of residence.
Non-EU driving licences - exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU driving licence within 1 year of moving.
To exchange your non-EU driving licence:
- go to the National Agency for Automobile Traffic
- hand in the following documents:
- recent photograph
- medical certificate
- extract from the police records (not older than 3 months. The extract has to be established by your previous country of residence)
- €30 fiscal stamp
- photocopy of the non-EU licence
- copy of an identity document.
If you have previously exchanged a non-EU driving licence for an EU licence in another EU country, you can use it in Luxembourg.