Updated : 26/04/2017
Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Portugal
After spending 3 months in Portugal, non-EU family members of EU nationals have 30 days in which to apply for the residence card (Cartão de Residência) certifying their right to live in Portugal.
For this purpose, 'family members' are spouses, relatives in the descending line up to the age of 21, relatives in the descending line aged over 21 who can prove that they are dependants, and relatives in the ascending line who are dependent on the person who has the right to live in Portugal.
Applicants must address themselves to the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, SEF), after contacting the Contact Centre (808 202 653 (fixed line) or 808 962 690 (mobile) between 8.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m.) The following documents are required:
- a valid non-EU citizen's passport
- the valid identity document of the citizen they are accompanying or joining
- 2 standard passport photos with a white background
- photocopies of pages showing international travel taken from a valid, up-to-date passport
- proof of dependent family members (if applicable).
- For spouses, the full birth certificate or marriage certificate must be provided.
- Unmarried partners must provide the birth certificates of both partners and a document proving that they have lived together for at least 2 years.
- Relatives in the descending line must present their birth certificate.
- Relatives in the descending line who are aged over 21 are required to provide a record of registration with an educational establishment, plus another means of proof.
- Stepsons or stepdaughters must provide their birth certificate and their parent's residence card.
Relatives in the ascending line of an EU citizen
- must provide the birth certificate of the EU citizen
- Persons aged under 65 must submit a document from the Portuguese Internal Revenue Service (IRS) showing their dependants, plus other documents proving that these persons are dependent on them (e.g. bank transfers to their country of origin).
Relatives in the ascending line of the spouse of an EU citizen
- must provide the birth certificate and residence card of the spouse of the EU citizen.
- Persons aged under 65 must submit a document from the Portuguese Internal Revenue Service (IRS) showing their dependants, plus other documents proving that these persons are dependent on them (e.g. a statement from their country of origin that they are not receiving a pension of any kind).
The certificate is generally issued up to 3 months after the application has been submitted. It remains valid for 5 years. The current cost is EUR 7.50 for children under the age of 6 and EUR 15 for everyone else.
For further information, and the necessary forms, see the website of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service.