Registering EU family members in another EU country – Portugal
Family members of EU citizens who are themselves EU nationals and who are staying in Portugal for longer than 3 months must apply for a registration certificate (Certificado de Registo) to formally establish their right of residence.
After spending 3 months in Portugal, citizens have 30 days in which to register and be issued with a registration certificate.
The following are considered to be family members for this purpose: spouses, relatives in the descending line up to the age of 21, relatives in the descending line aged over 21 who can prove that they are dependants, and relatives in the ascending line who are dependent on the rightholder.
Applications should be made to the applicant's local town hall (Câmara Municipal).The following documents are required:
- a valid identity document
- a document showing that the applicant is a family member or partner (if the identity document does not make this relationship clear)
- the registration certificate of the EU citizen whom the applicant is accompanying or joining
- Where applicants are directly related in the descending or ascending line to the EU citizen on whom they are dependent and are aged over 21, they must also provide a document establishing that they are dependent on the EU citizen whom they are accompanying or joining.
- Where applicants have any other kind of family relationship with the EU citizen, they must also provide a document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country from which they have arrived certifying that they are dependent on the EU citizen or that they live with that person, or prove that they have serious health problems which demand the personal assistance of the EU citizen.
Generally, the registration certificate (Certificado de Registo) is issued immediately and remains valid for 5 years. It must not cost more than the identity document issued to Portuguese citizens - currently EUR 7.50 for children under the age of 6 and EUR 15 for everyone else.