Registering EU family members in another EU country – Lithuania
Your family members must register their residence only if they come to live in the Republic of Lithuania for more than 3 months in a 6-month period. They must do so within 3 months of arrival.
To apply for a certificate confirming their right of residence in Lithuania, go to the Migration Service for the place where you intend to declare your residence.
The documents required to show there is a family relationship are as follows:
- Husband or wife: marriage certificate
- (grand)children: birth certificate
- (grand)parents: birth certificate
- Extended family members (uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, etc.): supporting documents proving that a family member is economically dependent
- Non-registered partners - non-exhaustive list: documents confirming that a stable relationship has existed for at least 3 years and / or that the person concerned is economically dependent on their partner, or manage a joint household with them (such as a joint residential lease, shared home upkeep expenses)
- Registered partners: registered partnership certificate
To prove that a family member is economically dependent on you, you can, for instance, provide information on money transfers to their bank account, or declare your commitment to support them.
Your family member will be issued a certificate confirming their right to live in Lithuania. The certificate is valid for 5 years or for the period you intend to live in Lithuania, if such a period is shorter than 5 years.
Once you have this certificate, you must report your presence to the local authorities where you live. You can do so at the local municipality or ward. If you need a certificate confirming your address in Lithuania, simply request one.
Check with the authorities responsible for registration:
- the Migration Service for the certificate confirming your right of residence in Lithuania
- the municipality office or city ward where you live for registration of your address