Navigation path

Updated : 12/10/2016

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Germany

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Your family members who are not EU nationals must apply for a residence card (Aufenthaltskarte).

You need to show there is a family relationship with the EU citizen who is already legally resident in Germany. To do so, you will need to produce relevant documents, such as:

  • Husband / wife: marriage certificate
  • (grand)children: birth certificate
  • Registered partners: certificate of civil partnership

The residence card is usually valid for 5 years.

For more information, check with the foreigners' registry office where you live.

Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice

Get help and advice