Navigation path

Updated : 28/02/2017

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – Austria

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

The ‘family member' residence permit gives family members from third countries (countries that do not belong to the EEA but excluding Switzerland) residence rights for a limited period with unrestricted access to the labour market.

‘Family members' (immediate family) include:

  • spouses;
  • registered partners, and
  • unmarried children who are minors (including adopted children and stepchildren).

Spouses and registered partners must be aged at least 21 when applying.

Those applying for their first Austrian residence permit must make their application in person at the Austrian consular authority (embassy or consulate) in their own (or another) country before travelling to Austria. More about the processDeutsch .

Applications for extensions of residence permitsDeutsch must be made to the competent local authorities in Austria.

Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice

    Get help and advice