Car registration in another EU country – Cyprus
As an EU national moving to Cyprus you must register your car if you are the owner of the vehicle.
Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle
If you change your country of residence to Cyprus, you have to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country immediately.
To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to any district office of the Road Transport Department in the town where you are resident/living.
Exemptions from the obligation to register a vehicle
As an EU national moving to Cyprus, you may use your vehicle here while it is still registered in your previous home country.
You can use it temporarily for a period of time not exceeding six consecutive months in any 12 month period under the following conditions:
- you shall not lend, sell, pledge, rent or otherwise dispose of it
- you shall use it exclusively for your own private needs.
Exceptionally, temporary admission of your vehicle may be allowed for a period of time longer than 6 months if:
- you are a student in Cyprus, in which case you will be allowed to use the vehicle throughout your stay in Cyprus exclusively for your studies; You will need a certificate of enrolment at the University of Cyprus or the Recognized Private Institution or
- you are assigned with a task of fixed duration, in which case you will be allowed to use the vehicle throughout your stay in Cyprus exclusively for the accomplishment of your task; or
- you have transferred your normal residence from another country to Cyprus and you intend to apply for relief on the vehicle. In such a case, you may not be deprived of your vehicle until you make an application and receive an answer. You may be allowed to use the vehicle temporarily up to a period of one month.
You are considered a person assigned with a task of fixed duration if :
- you have your normal residence in another EU country and you have come to Cyprus to work under a contract of a specific duration as a teaching personnel at the University of Cyprus or at a Private Institution of Higher Education recognised by the Ministry of Education and Culture or at institutions which function in the Republic under bilateral educational agreements. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of the excise duties for up to three years from the date of beginning work if your contract is still in force.
- you have your normal residence in another EU country and you are moving temporarily to the Republic to work under a contract of employment of a specific duration with the Government of the Republic, a Semi-governmental Organisation, legal persons of public law, International Organisations or Foreign State Organisations or Institutes established in the Republic, as well as foreign archaeological missions, if you offer particularly specialised work. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of excise duties for as long as the duration of your contract of employment.
- you have your normal residence in another EU country and you are temporarily working in the Republic as reporters of foreign press or foreign radio and television channels in order to cover specific events.
- you are a Greek Army officer and you are transferred to the Republic for a period usually not exceeding two years. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of the excise duties for up to two years.
- you have your normal residence in another EU country and you have temporarily moved to the Republic exclusively for further education or specialisation in institutions of higher education or state hospitals. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of the excise duties for up to three years as from the start of the said studies or specialization.
- you are a Cypriot diplomat, consular staff and another employee of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as well as an employee having a similar status, who return temporarily to the Republic for business purposes. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of the excise duties for up to five years from the date of arrival in the Republic, provided they still remain temporarily in the Republic for business purposes.
- you have your normal residence in the Republic and you study or continue your studies abroad or are trained in hospitals abroad, as long as you remain outside the Republic for studies or specialisation during most of the academic year or of any year of specialisation. You can temporarily use your vehicle without payment of the excise duties involved for up to three months, continuous or not, per calendar year.
Find out more information on vehicles imported temporarily in Cyprus.
As an EU national, if you want to register and use your car in Cyprus, you must pay the following taxes:
The following categories of vehicles are exempt from road tax: electric vehicles, disabled vehicles and private buses for large families.
If you do not register your vehicle in Cyprus, it is not subject to any of these taxes.
You may apply for car registration tax refund in Cyprus if you move to another EU country and you need to register your car there.