Getting a driving licence in the EU – Romania
Affected by Brexit?
EU driving licences - conditions
Driver training & driving test
To obtain a driving licence, you:
- must sign up with an approved driving school (Romanian Road Authority - ARR Transport Ministry) and, depending on the category of driving licence you will have to undergo some practical and theoretical training (for B category at least 24 hours of theoretical instruction and 30 hours of practical training).
must pass a theory exam and a practical test organised by the community service driving licence and vehicle registration authority, the public service community in whose jurisdiction the applicant
a) has his domicile or residence; or
b) the address where the applicant lives.
- Students who have been in Romania for more than 6 months can apply specifying the address where he/she lives.
Find more info about driving licences:
- ro on driving licences in Romania (Ministry of Internal Affairs)
- ro for driving licence exam and issue
- driving schools in Romania (Minstry of Transport)
The minimum age at which you can obtain a driving licence is:
|Category A1, AM, and B1||16 years|
|Category A2, C1, C1E and Tr;||18 years|
|Category A (over 35 kW cc) (if the person has an experience of at least 2 years of driving motorcycles of category A2 - 20 years)||24 years|
|Category B, BE, (passenger cars) / Category D, DE, Tb and Tv||18 years / 24 years|
Fitness to drive
If you wish to renew an EU driving licence, you must undergo a medical check.