Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Getting a driving licence in the EU – Ireland

EU driving licences - conditions

Driver training & driving test

To obtain a driving licence, you must:

  1. Pass a Driver Theory Test
  2. Apply for a learner permit
  3. Sign up with an approved driving school for at least 12 hours of practical training – list of approved driving instructors.
  4. Pass a practical test held by the Road Safety Authority
  5. Apply for your licence

For further details:

Road Safety Authority
Moy Valley Business Park
Primrose Hill
Co. Mayo

Customer Care Centre
+353 9625000
Lo-Call: 1890 40 60 40 Note that the rates charged for the use of 1890 (LoCall) numbers may vary among different service providers. Use of the LoCall number can impose additional costs on mobile phone users.


Age requirement

The minimum age at which you can obtain a driving licence is:

Category A1 (up to 125 cc) 16 years
Category A2 (up to 35 kW cc) 18 years
Category A (over 35 kW cc) 24 years or 20 with progressive access
Category B (passenger cars) 17 years

Fitness to drive


In making an application for a learner permit or a driving licence, you are asked to answer a range of questions relating to health and fitness. If you answer Yes to any of these questions, you must provide a medical report as part of your application.

  • You are also required to provide a medical report if you:
  • Are applying for any category of truck or bus learner permit or driving licence.
  • Will be 70 years of age or more on the day the new licence or learner permit comes into force.
  • Suffer from certain disabilities or diseases – including those listed on the learner permit and driving licence application forms.
  • Have ever suffered from alcoholism or epilepsy.
  • Are taking, on a regular basis, drugs or medication which would be likely to make you an unsafe driver.
  • The report must be completed by a general practitioner who is registered on the General Register of Medical Practitioners in Ireland.
  • The medical report must specifically refer to your eyesight, hearing, general physique and general medical condition, and their impact on your ability to drive. You must sign the declaration in the medical report in the presence of the general practitioner.

The first time you apply for a learner permit you must include a satisfactory eyesight report form with your application. You also need to provide a satisfactory eyesight report if you previously wore glasses/lenses and are now no longer required to do so, and in certain cases when exchanging a licence from another country. The report must be completed either by a registered ophthalmic optician or by a medical practitioner. You must sign the Eyesight Report Form in the presence of the optician or doctor.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: