Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 15/01/2018

Reporting presence for short stays (<3 months) – Estonia

EU citizens and citizens from an EEA member state or the Swiss Confederation (hereinafter an EU citizens), have a right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or an identity card for the period of up to 3 months without registration of the right of residence. A family member of an EU citizen has the right to stay in Estonia for up to 3 months together with an EU citizen, and the family member must hold a valid travel document and a visa.

After 3 months of staying in Estonia, the EU citizen and the family member need to register his/her place of residence in the Population Register of Estonia to obtain the right of residence. A notice on residence may be submitted to the local government authority nearest to your place of residence or by using the Population Register e-services in the state portal. The document certifying the right of residence of an EU citizen is the Estonian ID card.

When applying for a residence permit, the fingerprints of applicants over 6 years old will be recorded. To give fingerprints, the applicant has to personally come to the service office of the Police and Border Guard Board or to a foreign embassy of the Republic of Estonia where they will also receive information about the documents required. Fingerprints are not recorded:

  • if the applicant is younger than 6 years old
  • if less than 2 years have passed since the person's fingerprints were recorded for a passport, residence permit or residence permit card
  • if the person has been previously identified as permanently unable to give fingerprints

A residence permit may be temporary (validity period up to 5 years) or permanent.

See main information on this topic
Reporting presence for short stays (<3 months)
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice