Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 07/09/2017

Registering your non-EU family members in another EU country – France

Non-EU family members aged over 18 (and those over 16 who wish to seek work) must hold a residence permit.

They must apply for the permit within 3 months of coming to France.

Within 6 months they will be issued with a residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen - provided they don't constitute a threat to public order.

The residence permit is valid for at least 1 year - and for a maximum of 5 years. It may be renewed.

You should apply to the prefecture nearest where you live (though in some départements this is the nearest sub-prefecture).

You must provide the following documents the first time you apply for a residence permit:

  • a valid passport
  • proof of your family links with an EU citizen (e.g. an official document comparable to the French family record book, known as the livret de famille)
  • a document or documents proving that the EU citizen you are accompanying or have joined has the right to live in France (e.g. employment contract, proof of financial resources)
  • 3 photos

More on family members' residence permitsfrançais

Need more information on rules in a specific country?
Ask national administrations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice