Navigation path

Do you know your EU rights? Test your knowledge with our quiz.

Updated : 10/01/2013

Car registration documents and formalities – Portugal

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

How often must vehicles undergo roadworthiness tests in Portugal?


- 4 years after first registration

- every 2 years until the car is 8 years old

- thereafter, every year

Light vehicles:

- 2 years after first registration

- thereafter, every year

Heavy vehicles & trailers (>3 500 kg), ambulances, light vehicles licensed for school/passenger transport/driving lessons

- 1 year after first registration

- every year until vehicle is 7 years old

- thereafter twice a year.

Heavy vehicles & trailers (>3 500 kg) used by fire brigades, and others that rarely use the public highway (e.g. circus equipment)

- 1 year after first registration

- thereafter, every year

More information (Portuguese only)

Must a roadworthiness test be conducted each time a vehicle changes owners?


Do the Portuguese authorities require a roadworthiness test when a new resident from another EU/EFTA country registers their car?

No, only proof that the vehicle has been regularly inspected in the previous country of registration.

However, vehicles (and trailers) must undergo an identity and safety check before being given a Portuguese licence plate.

What does a roadworthiness test in Portugal typically consist of?

Regular checks to ensure that vehicles and their equipment function correctly and comply with safety standards:

·         The efficiency of the windscreen wipers and if there are any broken glass parts

·         Lights: Indicator lights, hazard lights, brake, reverse, license plate and fog lights

·         Headlights: position of dipped-beam and main-beam

·         Tyres – tread depth ≥ 1.6 mm

·         Rear-view mirrors – reflecting surface, fixation and adjustment

·         Correct functioning of safety belts.

More information (Portuguese only)

Public consultations
Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice