Navigation path

Updated : 09/04/2014

Registering your residence abroad – Estonia

Choose country

Choose country

Common rights across EU countries

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Registering your residence when abroad

You must register your residence within 3 months of arrival.

To register your residence you should go to the local government authority nearest to your place of residence in Estonia.

Inactive citizens (pensioners, self-sufficient persons) don't need to submit any proof of sufficient resources.

As an EU citizen, you obtain the right of temporary residence upon registration of your place of residence in the population register of Estonia. Within one month from registration of the place of residence you must apply to the Police and Boarder Guard Board for an Estonian ID-card at which certifies the right of temporary residence.

You don't need to carry such registration certificate at all times.

If you don't register your residence after 3 months you are considered to be a person residing illegally on the territory of Estonia.

Check with the authorities responsible for registration: Estonian Police and Border Guard Board .

Need support from assistance services?
Get help and advice