Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Car insurance validity in the EU – United Kingdom

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to the UK from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country remains valid for the period of validity.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to the UK up until you register the vehicle, at which time you will be required to have in place motor insurance issued by an insurer that is authorised to provide motor insurance in the UK.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in the UK is called no-claims system, a no-claims bonus or discount system and is usually based on the number of years during which you have not made a claim on your car insurance policy.

If you are an EU national, insurers in the UK are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted on application by the individual insurer, who may take account of these no-claims periods accrued in another Member State.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

See main information on this topic

Share this page: