Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 11/02/2019

Car insurance validity in the EU – Spain

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Spain from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second homeowner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Spain(once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for the period it was signed for.

Claims history

There is not a risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Spain. Currently, there is no uniform system, but each insurance company can use the risk assessment system it deems appropriate.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Spain are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted depending on the decision of each insurance company.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact: Protection of the Insured - Claims Service of the DG for Insurance and Pension Funds. On the following website, you can download complaint and claim forms and consult information about this issue.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: