Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 04/10/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Portugal

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Portugal from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Portugal (once officially registered as resident) from another EU country, until you register your vehicle in Portugal.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Portugal is called bonus/malus, and is based on the criteria foreseen in the insurance policy – specific public regulation of the bonus/malus only requires that relevant for such system may be strictly accidents that gave rise to payments by the insurer, or that the insurer accepted to pay (by the constitution of a specific financial provision

If you are an EU national, insurers in Portugal are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted under the following conditions: absolute freedom of insurers to foresee criteria to deal with this matter

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:Autoridade de Supervisão de Seguros e Fundos de Pensões (Portuguese Insurance and Pension Funds Supervisory Authority), or consumidor@asf.com.pt, or Avenida da República, 76, 1200-205 Lisboa.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: