Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 28/02/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Netherlands

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to the Netherlands from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to the Netherlands (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for an unlimited period of time as long as the insurance cover provided is equivalent to cover provided by a Dutch insurer and your foreign insurer allows the insurance cover of foreign cars.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in the Netherlands is called bonus/malus. If you have no claims your premium will cost less and will correspond to a specific category. If you do not make any claims during a certain number of years you will go up "the ladder" and your fee will drop. If you make a claim you can drop down again and your fee will increase.

If you are an EU national, insurers in the Netherlands are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted, but this is at the insurer's discretionnl.

Dispute resolution

If you do not agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact: KIFIDnl, the financial Ombudsman.

See main information on this topic

Share this page: