Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Car insurance validity in the EU – Malta

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Malta from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter, tourist etc.), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for, provided such period is not inferior to and does not exceed six months.

After six months of permanent residence in Malta, you would be required to register and obtain a Residence Permit; this would require you to change the foreign registration plate of your vehicle to a Maltese one. Your vehicle can then be insured in Malta.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Malta is the bonus/malus system; this adjusts the premium of a policyholder according to the individual claims history.

A discount in the premium is given if no claim is submitted in the preceding year(s); on the other hand, the premium is increased if a claim has been submitted in the preceding year(s). This system is also called "no claims discount" or "no claims bonus".

If you are an EU national, insurers in Malta are required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history are accepted, provided they are authentic and original and they have been issued by your previous insurer(s).

You must present these documents to the insurer which will be insuring your vehicle.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact the following office:

Consumer Complaints Unit,

Malta Financial Services Authority,

Notabile Road,

Attard BKR 3000.

E-Mail: consumerinfo@mfsa.com.mt

Telephone: Calls from outside Malta: +356 2548 5700

Telephone: Calls from Malta: 800 74924 (Freephone)

Fax: +356 2144 1189


See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: