Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Car insurance validity in the EU – Luxembourg

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Luxembourg from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Luxembourg (once officially registered as resident) from another EU country, for a maximum of 6 months.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Luxembourg is calledbonus/malus and is based on the individual claim history of the driver.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Luxembourg are required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance pay-out or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact the Consumers Union (FR: Union Luxembourgeoise des Consommateurs – ULC) or the European Consumer Centre Luxembourg (FR: Centre Européen des Consommateurs, DE: Europäisches Verbraucherzentrum)

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: