Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 18/02/2020

Car insurance validity in the EU – Italy

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Italy from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Italy (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for a maximum of 12 months.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Italy is a bonus/malus system based on the following criteria:

  • if this is the first time you register a vehicle, you will be assigned to the default class that will determine conditions for your policy - class 14, in a range from class 1 (the most virtuous) to class 18 (the least virtuous drivers),
  • otherwise, the insurer will consider any accidents you may have been involved in over the past five years.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Italy are required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted if they allow your insurer to determine which class you should be assigned to. In all other cases, you will be automatically assigned to a default class (class 14).

Dispute resolution

If you do not agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:

See main information on this topic

Share this page: