Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 28/02/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Ireland

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Ireland from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Ireland (once officially registered as resident) from another EU country, for the duration of the policy issued.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Ireland is calleda no-claims system and is based on the following criteria;

  • Licence
  • Type, size and age of car
  • Age of the driver
  • Value of the car
  • Experience
  • Profession and use
  • Where the car is kept
  • Excess and extras
  • No claims discount
  • Accidents, claims and convictions

If you are an EU national, insurers in Ireland are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium, however there is an agreement in place that it will be recognised.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:

The Financial Services Ombudsman
3rd Floor
Lincoln House
Lincoln Place
Dublin 2
Tel: +353 1 662 0899
Fax: +353 1 662 0890
The Financial Services Ombudsman
Email: enquiries@financialombudsman.ie

See main information on this topic

Share this page: