Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 12/09/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Finland

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Finland from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Finland (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for a maximum of 30 days.

Please note that there are other obligations regarding the vehicle; registering, insuring and taxing that need to be taken into account if you wish to use the vehicle before registering it in Finland.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Finland is called bonus/malus and is based on the specific criteria.

Every insurance company is obliged to have a company list of tariffs indicating how the insurance premium is calculated on the basis of a number of risk factors. They are also obliged to have a table showing how your no-claims history affects the insurance premium of the vehicle.

In general these criteria vary between insurance companies.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Finland are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted under the specific conditions.

Every insurance company has the authority to decide whether it accepts / recognizes the no-claims history of a vehicle in another EU country.

You must present a certificate of transfer of claims history to the insurer granting the new motor liability insurance.

Dispute resolution

If you do not agree with an insurance pay-out or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:

  • Traffic Accident Board. The purpose of the Board is to issue statements on compensation for traffic accidents.

  • the Insurance Board operating in conjunction with the Finnish Financial Ombudsman Bureau. It can issue statements only on matters related to the motor liability insurance contract in which the Traffic Accident Board has no competence. The Insurance Board does not handle compensation matters based on motor liability insurance.

  • the Insurance Court. As to the motor liability insurances the Insurance Court deals only with the rehabilitation cases related to traffic accidents.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: