Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn


Updated : 14/01/2013



I'm a tourist

Your car insurance policy from your home country covers you throughout the EU if you injure someone.

Your car's number plate is proof that you have liability insurance. This means that police in another country will not normally stop you just to check if you are insured.

It is of course best to always take your insurance papers with you. This may make things easier if you get in an accident or are stopped by the police.

Sample story

Carry your insurance papers with you for your own convenience

Ronaldo was stopped for speeding in France. Because he did not have his insurance papers with him, the police made him call his insurer in Portugal to prove he was insured.

Even though technically you do not have to, carrying your insurance papers with you is the best way to prove you are covered and can save you time and money if you run into problems abroad.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body


In this case, the 27 EU member states + Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway

Retour au texte en cours.